So, I work in the university scene shop. I build scenery for the plays and films. Yesterday morning I was hard at work building platforms for As You Like It. I haven't worked there very long so I usually don't really know what I'm doing, so I fake it. I was alone in the shop, pretending like I knew how to build platforms, when out of the corner of my eye I saw something pass by the doorway. The door was open and in that split second I saw a glitter of something shiny moving through the hallway. I turned my head casually and discovered a Chinese dragon. A CHINESE DRAGON?! I began to search for a logical explanation and confirmed that I was not unconscious or heavily medicated. I stared in wonder, for this was the first time I had seen a real Chinese dragon. After a moment it began moving down the hall again, and I soon saw that the very long, colorful dragon was being carried by a group of Chinese people. I was unaware that the university sponsored early-morning indoor cultural parades, so I knew the matter deserved further investigation. I ran to the doorway and watched the elegant dragon floating down the hallway. It was beautiful and flowing. It was followed by a train of people carrying paper lanterns and wooden poles. My moment of awe would be short lived, however, as my fascinated gaze was soon broken by a gruff male voice.
"Hey, can we borrow this dolly to unload our truck?"
"Sure," I answered, still awed by the wonder of it all.
I soon learned the not quite magical explanation for this impromptu parade. The Shanghai Circus had come to my school. They were unloading their props. I watched the dragon disappear into the darkness of the concert hall, and then went back to pretending to build scenery. My life returned to normal, but for one glittering moment I had encountered the mystical wonder of the Far East...

I have a feeling I'm going to be an avid reader of this blog
ReplyDeleteHaha! Carter! I love your stories! And the ones involving how strange the HFAC is are especially funny! :)
ReplyDelete